Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Deserted, Scotland Post Office, Van Buren County

Deserted
14X18, Oil on Canvas
Available

The little town of Scotland, Arkansas is almost dead. The school was consolidated several years ago into Clinton school district which is about 30 miles away. When I was in high school, I played a game of basketball in their gym. It was old as the hills even back then. The school was burned by arsons this past winter. Thankfully, we got pictures of it 2 summers ago and I may revisit this area with a painting of the school. It wasn't picturesque by many people's standards but then again, I can find charm in a lot of things.
This old post office has probably not been used in about 50 years and I don't recall seeing one of the new prefab post offices being put up in tiny rural towns these days.
In the midst of all this decay, there was a nicely refurbished old (though tiny) home right across the dirt road that was being used as a hair salon.

No comments:

Post a Comment