Saturday, November 20, 2010

Grinder's Ferry, Buffalo National River, Searcy County

Lean to the Light
14X18, Oil on Canvas


I almost can't believe I hadn't posted this one already.  This is a place called Grinder's Ferry on the Buffalo National River.  If you can't tell, the Buffalo is one of my favorite places in the state.  Grinder's Ferry is just downstream from the Hwy 65 bridge.  I did a small arts and crafts show this summer in Marshall, AR and had this one on display.  A young boy who was maybe 12 came up, looked at it and announced that he knew exactly where this was and that he and his dad spent a great deal of time here.  He even made note of changes I had made to it!  Turns out, his family was descended from the Grinders for whom this place is named.

The logging industry used to be the king in Searcy County and Grinders Ferry was a place where logs were rolled into the river to transport downstream.  I believe most of the time they were pulled out at the town now called Gilbert to be loaded onto the train.

The photo references for this piece came from February of this year.  Early rains often swell the river and turn it a beautiful blue green color from suspended rock solids.  I leaned the tops of some of the trees to the left, where the light was coming from, and that's the source of the name of this one.

Tomorrow I'll try to start up a second blog to show all my work that is not related to Arkansas.

1 comment:

  1. Brings back a lot of memories, we used to own a small café just south of the bridge on old high way 65, we had boat rentals and small cabins in the rear of the café back in the late 50s.
    Any way being an artist my self I have painted several Ozark paintings my self, the Ozarks is just beautiful, an artist dream!
    Billy.

    ReplyDelete