Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Roundtop Filling Station, Sherwood, Pulaski County

Roundtop Filling Station
11X14, Oil on Canvas
Available


This is an old gas station in Sherwood. This old place, constructed in 1936, was put on the National Register of Historic Places in 2008 but it's in a sad sad state. When we went by there, it looked like it had been used by some homeless folks. The front door is about to fall off the hinges and it's full of broken bottles. If it were in a more prominent location, I doubt it would be in the state of disrepair it's now in but the stretch of road it sits on was long ago routed around by Highway 67. You can learn more about it here.
We didn't make it up to Marion County this weekend like we had tentatively planned. We did, however, head down to south Arkansas! It was new territory for the wife and kids. I had been down there before but it was 20 some odd years ago so that barely counts. We got reference picures from 4 counties: Nevada, Clarke, Columbia, and Ouachita. It was a loooong day and I'm not too sure the pictures from later in the day will be very useful since we were all pretty tired and ready to get home. But I definitely got some good material to make hay from in two of those and I'm excited to get to work on it. Not much time for plein air work though while we were out.
Next week, we're heading out to southern California! I'm hoping to meet with a couple of my favorite artists and (dare I dream??) paint with one of them in Laguna Beach!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful project idea. Can't wait to see what you do with Ouachita County. I grew up in Camden. Graduated from the University of Arkansas ages ago. Live in Birmingham, Alabama, now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi K

    Glad you found this site! I hope I can do justice to Ouachita County! Right now at this moment I have a piece from Magnolia on the easel that I'm trying to knock out of the park before we take off on vacation. I trust those Alabamans are treating a fellow Razorback well, we know how they can be, right? :D JK, they're good folks too.

    ReplyDelete